BARRETTINE RAW LINSEED OIL
A traditional completely natural oil from the extract of flax seed which penetrates unsealed wood leaving a natural, water resistant finish with a slightly enhanced colour that darkens slightly with age. For use on oak beams, bean canes, cricket bats, and many woodcraft applications and can be used as a lubricant in French Polishing (not suitable for furniture or flooring).
Apply a minimum of 3 coats allowing 12–24 hours between coats. Leave the final coat to absorb / dry for a few days before use.
For best results on new woods, dilute the first two coats with 30% Barrettine Turps/White Spirit
Can also be used to soften putty and as a lubricant for French Polishing
Mainly used for internal purposes but if used outside, we recommend a prior application of wood preservative treatment that must be allowed to dry before applying Raw Linseed Oil. Regular retreatment will be required.
- Application: Brush or lint free cloth
- Coverage: 1 litre to 8-10 sq metres
Not recommended for furniture and flooring.
PREPERATION AND APPLICATION
Preparation and method of application are essential for great results:
- Shake oil well before use. Keep container upright at all times
- Ensure wood to be treated is dry, free from dirt and repellant coatings such as wax, paint and varnish (remove and sand down as required).
- Wipe oily woods with White Spirit before application
- Apply by brush or lint free cloth – after 10-15 minutes, remove excess oil with a lint free cloth
- Clean equipment with Barrettine White Spirit
- Precaution: cloths used for oiling may spontaneously combust. Immediately after use, soak them in soapy water then lay them flat outside on a non-combustible surface to dry