Superflexible Wood Primer and Undercoat
Our wood primer gives you a smooth finish to help paint stick and last longer. It can cover bold colours and dark marks and when used with our 10 Year Weatherproof Paint, it’ll last an entire decade.
How to apply primer to your exterior wood
Before you start
Make sure your wood is clean, dry and free of dirt, dust and grease. This primer can be used on all smooth outdoor wood but it’s not the right product for rough sawn fences and sheds.
You will need to sand your wood, so always wear a mask to avoid inhaling any sawdust.
How to prepare bare wood for priming
- Use 120 grit sandpaper to lightly sand the wood. Go in the direction of the woodgrain and smooth out any rough patches. This will help your primer adhere easily and smoothly.
- Grab a cloth and some white spirit and wipe down the surface to clean and remove dust.
- There shouldn’t be any imperfections in new bare wood, but if there is use a wood filler to fill them in.
How to prepare previously painted wood for priming
If your old paint isn’t cracking or peeling and is in a reasonably good condition, you just need to use 120 grit sandpaper to lightly sand it to help the primer stick. But if your paint is in a poor condition, you’ll need to follow these steps.
- Use 120 grit sandpaper to remove all the old paint and sand back to the bare wood of the door. This is done easiest with an electric sander. Go in the direction of the woodgrain and you’ll soon have removed all the old paint.
- Let the dust settle and wipe it away with white spirit and a cloth.
- For smaller imperfections, fix them with a wood filler, larger holes can be filled with our high performance wood filler and rotten wood can be taken care of with wet rot wood hardener.
- Stir your primer so the consistency is smooth.
- Grab a synthetic paintbrush and paint in the direction of the woodgrain. Wait four hours for the first coat to dry.
- For the best results, you’ll need to apply two coats. Once four hours has passed, apply the second coat and wait another four hours.
- Once your second coat has dried, lightly sand the surface with 240 grit sandpaper. It’s now ready to paint over!
Our Superflexible Primer and Undercoat is intended to be painted over, so we don’t recommend leaving it exposed for too long.
Your brushes can be easily cleaned in warm soapy water.
||All smooth, outdoor wood. Don’t use on rough sawn sheds & fences
||This tin will cover 11m2
||Touch dry 2 hours, paint over in 4 hours
|Number of coats
||Flexes with your wood to prevent your top coat from splitting